You will receive a phone call the day before your procedure and be given an arrival time for surgery. Please make sure to supply us with a working phone number where you may be reached.
Do not eat or drink any food or liquid after midnight the night before your surgery, unless given specific directions otherwise. A nurse will tell you which medications to take, if any, with a small sip of water. Failure to follow eating and drinking restrictions could increase the risk of complications and lead to cancellation of your surgery.
To reduce bacteria on your skin:
- Bathe or shower before arriving.
- Do not apply lotion or hair spray.
- Do not shave your surgical site at home prior to surgery, unless instructed to do so.
- Do not wear makeup, jewelry (including body piercings), watches, earrings, or rings. If you refuse to remove body piercings, there is a possibility your surgery may be cancelled.
- Wear loose comfortable clothes.
- If you were required to do a bowel prep and you still have dark or formed stool, please call us at (850) 718-2554 or (850) 718-2540.
- You will be required to have someone over the age of 18 with you on your day of surgery. This person is to remain during the procedure. You must arrange to have someone drive you home after surgery.
- You are advised to have someone stay with you at home for 24 hours after surgery.
Special Instructions for Children
- Children preparing for surgery require special attention. Parents should be aware of dietary restrictions and make sure children follow them exactly, especially the morning of surgery.
- Patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian on the day of surgery or for any required pre-admissions during the surgical process. A legal guardian of a child having surgery must present a copy of your power of attorney or legal guardianship.
- It is reassuring for children to have a favorite small toy or familiar item from home with them.
In Case of Cancellation
If you develop a cold, fever, persistent cough, infection, and/or become ill within 48 hours of your surgery or need to cancel for any reason, call your surgeon or the Surgery department at (850)718-2554 or (850)718-2540.